Sunday, October 10, 2010

Bienvenue chez moi

 Last Monday, I left Lycée Jean Monnet and walked the half-hour back to the C.I.A.R.U.S.  (Okay, okay, maybe more like 45 minutes as it is impossible to take a direct route through Petite France).  I had also walked to school earlier that morning.  I was being frugal because I only had change to buy a one-way tram ticket and I was saving that for when I would be laden with luggage.  I asked the receptionist at the front desk for the key to the bagagerie.   He asked me if I had found a place to stay yet, and for the first time, I was able to respond with good news.  This receptionist was my favorite.  He seemed very concerned with my extended stay at the C.I.A.R.U.S. and even called a friend to see if she knew of any available lodging. 

I made my way down to the bagagerie for what I hoped would be the last time.  I could barely open the door because there was a mountain of luggage blocking it.  When I finally forced the door open, I lamented having placed my bag in the back corner, out of the way.  The German schools groups do not pack lightly.  After a few attempts to move luggage and make a path, I mounted the pile and awkwardly made my way to the back of the room.  I sincerely apologize to the German student whose valuables I crushed, but in my situation, you would have done the same?  Once I dug out my suitcase, I launched it to the top of the pile and dragged it out of the room.  As I left to C.I.A.R.U.S. for the last time, I wondered if there was a security camera in the bagagerie and if my favorite receptionist was enjoying the instant replay of my acrobatic feat.
   
I was exhausted when I arrived to my apartment on Rue D’Upsal.  Justine was just saying au revoir to her mom and a friend.  She showed me to my room and left me to unpacking.  As I only had a suitcase and a backpack, this took me less than a half an hour.  Justine offered to drive me to the mall to buy bedding for my new bed.  The drive Auchan was pleasant and we got to know each other as much as my French abilities would allow.  Justine helped me find the right sized bedding and bought me a comforter cover that was prettier than the cheap one I wanted to buy.  Thanks Justine! 


Tomorrow marks my one week anniversary living with Justine, Maxime, and Benoit.  I could not have found a better living situation if I had looked for months.  Though they have been close friends for a long time, my colocataires are willing to share their routines and friendship.  They are extremely patient and accommodating with my limited French abilities. Justine even reprimands the boys for not using proper French around me because she doesn’t want me to learn French wrong.  In my first week, I was treated to traditional Alsatian cuisine, a movie at the biggest theater in Europe (so I’m told), and a Saturday adventure around town. 


Our apartment is a good size for the four of us.  We live on the second floor, which, if you are not familiar with French buildings, is actually the 3rd story.  We have a kitchen, equipped with all the main appliances plus a washer and dryer (a luxury I’m told; many French apartments are without.)  The living area has a table, at which we eat many of our meals, a couch, TV and bonsai tree.  There is a balcony where two of my roommates smoke and I haven’t really spent much time.  We have a toilet room and bathroom, très European.  Our bath is a decent size complete with air jets that I have yet to test out.  My room is a good size (comparable to my room at home).  My room came complete with a bed, desk, and closet.  I’m really content with my room, the apartment, and my apartment mates.  Now that I’m settled, I’m ready to start absorbing the French language and culture and, of course, get out and TRAVEL! 

5 comments:

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Do said...

jacy bo!!
i'm happy things are working out! it sounds like you're having a great time!! yay!!

and i'm hoping to send you some mail soon..just as soon as i can get my hands on some postage. :)

and guess what's happening in europe this coming summer during our birthdays?!!?? the women's world cup in germany!! so i'm gonna make my goal to be able to go back to europe in late june/early july! we should go check out the world cup!! that would be amazing!

anyway, keep posting! they're my favorite thing to read, no joke.

good to know you're doing well jacy!! miss you!

Rose said...

Oh, I'm thrilled. This post is so much happier...a great home and "family" can make a ton of difference in one's world!

Andy Bowman said...

I think your flatmates lucked out too!

Unknown said...

Sounds like things are looking up! Glad to hear you did not end up in a cardboard box.
Much Love,
Ben